Monday, March 9, 2015

Remember, O Remember. Cause I don't!


I have trouble remembering things, and I know I cannot be the only one. But...the most common excuse I find myself making (besides being lazy.....) for not writing in my journal is that I don't need to write it down... I'll remember. And I can't be the only one. But let's face it... sometimes we can't even remember what we had for dinner last night, or two days ago (or 5 minutes ago?)... {and if you do remember everything feel free to skip this blog post}.

Journal writing is not only a way to preserve memories and feelings of the moment you wrote them in... but if you write it instead of type it, it is a way for your posterity to connect to you more emotionally. To see the handwriting of an ancestor, and read what they wrote.. how they felt, how they viewed the world.. is an amazing example of family history. So I will refer to a quote I used in another post...

"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten; Either write things worthy of reading, or do things worthy of writing." -- Benjamin Franklin, May 1738

So, here comes my blog post on why we should write in our journals. But first! A Picture. Cause you know how I do. Or maybe you don't. But this is how.

It's so easy a dinosaur can do it!
If dinosaurs didn't journal, we wouldn't have these jokes!
"Q. What happened when the Brachiosaurus took the train home?
A. He had to bring it back!"
You may ask, "Why not wait until I'm older to compile a summary of my life?" Here's President Kimball's answer:
"Your story should be written now while it is fresh and while the true details are available. Your private journal should record the way you face up to challenges that beset you. Do not suppose life changes so much that your experiences will not be interesting to your posterity. Experiences of work, relations with people, and an awareness of the rightness and wrongness of actions will always be relevant. Your journal, like most others, will tell of problems as old as the world and how you dealt with them."


“On Keeping a Journal...In the journal I do not just express myself more openly than I could to any person; I create myself. The journal is a vehicle for my sense of selfhood. It represents me as emotionally and spiritually independent. One of the main (social) functions of a journal or diary is precisely to be read furtively by other people, the people (like parents + lovers) about whom one has been cruelly honest only in the journal. Will {so and so} ever read this?” - Susan Sontag

There is the saying, “A goal not written is only a wish.” Journaling is also a great way to concretize goals and dreams on paper. Allowing yourself to express your dreams freely encourages you to strengthen your personal vision for your life. You have the authority and freedom to decide how you want your life to look like. - rappler
Start with a sentence... start with a page...
You'll be glad you did... and so will they.

No comments:

Post a Comment